~~~ Guest Post by Jeff Griener ~~~
The Latino Connection resource group is one of the many diversity and inclusion organizations available for all Dell EMC team members. The Utah Chapter of Latino Connection has 140 members. The Latino Connection Utah Chapter was the first Employee Circle/ERG at the Draper Utah COE.
Mission & Goals:
- Provide a forum for Latin and interested Dell EMC professionals to network a vehicle for their opinions to be heard. Ensure programs and offerings represent their perspective and needs
- Brand Dell EMC externally to the Latino Community via technology, education, enterprise & partner with external professional organizations
- Drive Latino culture awareness throughout the company
- Promote career development to Dell EMC's Latin community
Mission & Goals:
- Increase Dell EMC membership and participation locally and in the field
- Attract new talent to Dell EMC & Facilitate transition to new employees
- Assist on building strong and vibrant communities, improving quality of life, and making a positive difference where we live and work
- Deliver programs and services that address Dell EMC specific needs
- Develop a custom Road-map for Leadership Success at Dell EMC
- Reach out to the community to support specific educational needs, focusing on STEM initiatives among others
External Professional Organizations:
- Promote Dell EMC's presence and involvement with Latino Professional external organizations
The Utah Chapter of Latino Connection sponsors various activities and events throughout the year.
Our, now bi-annual, American Red Cross Blood drives have been a tradition for us. In February of 2017 we held our Valentine’s Day blood drive at which our partners at the ARC collected a total of 50 pints of blood between our two Draper locations. Our next blood drive is scheduled for July 26, 2017.
Cinco de Mayo Salsa Challenge
In 2016 Latino Connection started a tradition of sponsoring a homemade salsa competition. The 2017 edition of the chips and salsa extravaganza held earlier this month was a great success!
|Salsa, Pinata, and Prizes|
In September of 2016, Latino Connection – Utah volunteered and spent most of a day helping to setup for the annual three day Latino Americano Festival held in Provo, Utah. Our efforts were greatly appreciated and we look forward to even more involvement in 2017.
|Team members volunteering at Provo Festival Latino Americano|
Salt Lake City Brazilian Festival
Another tradition of the Utah Chapter of Latino Connection is having a booth at the annual Brazilian Festival held in Salt Lake City. It is a great recruiting event for us and a lively atmosphere. Some years we have even participated in the Carnival Parade!
|Representing Dell EMC in the Brazilian Festival parade|
|Manning a booth at the SLC Brazilian Festival|
Zumbathon O.U.R. Rescue Fundraiser
In October of last year we had an opportunity to hold a fundraiser for a very worthy cause, O.U.R Rescue and have Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes speak to a large group of team members at the COE. AG Reyes is a co-founder and active participant in the valiant efforts that this organization is involved in to rescue people (mostly children) from human trafficking rings around the world.
Spanish and Portuguese Classes
The Utah Chapter of Latino Connection has traditionally offered beginning and intermediate Spanish and Portuguese classes to any team member who is interested. We always have a great group of enthusiastic participants and a few ‘graduates’ each year as well.